Crossing the Blues

Thursday, June 17, 2010

De Shawn Marie & Papaya Scrub

Lilac Rose Vegan Handmade Soap, made with real roses, lilac and coconut milk base.

Picture by De Shawn Marie Soaps

If ever there were a designer soap, this would be it. This particular soap is called Lilac Rose and it has the prettiest  rose petals gorgeously embedded in it. The soft hues of pink & creamy white make it the most sensual looking soap ever. It smells like soft sweet rose petals. Lovely.

IMG_5141

Won over by the pretty presentation, I bought 5 soaps from De Shawn Marie for 25 USD. Most are going to be given as gifts and only one bar is meant for personal consumption * My bar smells yummy & I want to eat it. These soaps look like they were individually handcrafted and deserve their very own shelf space  solely for admiration purposes.

If you love the smell of fresh flowers, fruits or simply want to be reminded of  an aromatic garden scent, you will love De Shawn Marie Soaps. They aren’t as huge  or as creamy as BareBummBath but the lather of the soap is amazing. It makes you feel squeaky clean and very refreshed. Her scents will caress and soothe your senses:) She also has a little letter in the parcel talking about her latest discoveries for green teas and oils while holidaying in  Vietnam and assures that that her ingredients are of the highest quality. Just as much as I love to pamper my face, I love to pamper my skin and I think it’s time for me to ditch the parabens and detergents that are found in commercial soaps.

 

IMG_5137

The soaps I purchased were Lilac Rose, Limoncello, Grapefruit Orange, Lavender Cloud and Vanilla Coconut. I took 4 pictures from her Etsy page cause the rest are meant as gifts. My mom chose Grapefruit Orange and when she took it out of the box it looked exactly like this Etsy picture. Smells and looks pretty beautiful. Nothing over powering, just a very nice whiff of light grapefruit and citrus.

Grapefruit Orange Handmade Soap made with Coconut Milk, Grapefruit Oil and Oatmeal
Picture by De Shawn Marie Soaps

Vanilla Coconut

This soap smells a little like a mild vanilla and coconut cake. I could smell it through the box so this was a little tempting!

 Vanilla Coconut Handmade Soap made w/real vanilla and coconut milk
Picture by De Shawn Marie Soaps

Lavender Cloud

Nice whiff of mild lavender. Very therapeutic and relaxing…

Lavender Cloud Handmade Soap made with Coconut Milk, Dried Lavender and Lavender Oil
Picture by De Shawn Marie Soaps

Limoncello!

This rolled soap looked too cute for me to resist . The novelty of this rolled soap wears out pretty quick cause if you cut it into smaller strips to use, it becomes so awkward to use ( I have to unroll the soap  to get a nice rectangular piece)  and if you do use the whole bar than there’s going to be some amount of wastage. I would prefer this in the regular soap shape for practical reasons :)

DSCF0705

 DSCF0712

Overall, I give her soaps an A+ for packaging, freshness and aromatic scents with great lather.Her soaps gets creamier with use. Unfortunately, ever since I’ve been using Bare Bumm Bath * amazing * Soaps, I can’t help but feel that the Limencello is a little bit too drying and cleans my skin a little too well for my liking. I prefer my skin to feel clean yet nicely moisturized after a bath. On the other hand, I know my mom loves De Shawn’s Soaps because she is crazy over that “squeeky clean feeling”.  As I said before, soaps are very personal and there’s a PERFECT bar of handmade soap for everyone, you just need to find it!

Lastly, her shipping cost a little tiny bit more but shipping was super quick and her customer service is excellent. These soaps make excellent gifts and whoever is receiving it will be very pleasantly surprised!

I have some body scrubs, body lotions and of course more soaps coming in a few weeks time! Meanwhile, I am using a different soap for every bath and I love it!

______________________________________________________

I have been using this scrub for 2 months now and have found it to be an extremely effective facial scrub cum Enzymatic Exfoliate :)  PEEL ME A PAPAYA was lying around my home and I think it was purchased from Highonhealth.org  some time ago( I don’t think she stocks it anymore and you would have to check Simply Divine Botanicals website) . As you know papaya contains the enzyme papain and is full of vitamins that can regenerate skin.

DSCF0713DSCF0715

DSCF0719

I love all the ingredients listed as they are all great for the skin. Sometimes, papaya or pineapple based facial products can be very harsh and can result in redness or rashes, especially for sensitive skin types. As such, ingredients such as Chamomile, Calendula, Lavender and Coconut Milk are very soothing for the skin when incorporated into a papaya based facial peel.

After I pour out some peel, I add Dr Bronners (*Lavender Scented)  into the dish and mix with some water. It’s all a matter of guestimation but I have to warn you, this mixture STINGS. If you have thin sensitive skin, please skip Dr Bronners or use more water to get a runny consistency. If you have thicker, dull looking skin or some acne scarring, try a thicker consistency with a little water only. The first few times I tried this scrub, I used equal parts Dr Bronners and the papaya peel and my face felt like it was on fire. It was very red afterwards but I noticed that a red scar healed very quickly. Currently, I use Dr Bronners and this papaya peel but it’s more like 3 parts Dr B. to 1 part Papaya peel. After I do a gentle scrub, I usually proceed to letting it sit on my face for 2 minutes or so.

Directions:-

* I recommend that you try DR B. + Papaya Peel + Water, if you have sensitive skin or have never done any form of fruit peels before. Be very gentle with your skin. It should look very runny and there is little to no stinging sensation.

DSCF0720

* For acne scarring, dull, thick and non sensitive skin types, try Dr B.+Papaya Peel. Feel free to add a little water if you are unsure at first. Once confident, you can omit  water, mixing more papaya peel to Dr B.  Once you feel the effectiveness declining, up the proportion for Dr B.

Be warned though, this concoction gives off a very strong smell.

DSCF0717 

This scrub can be used twice a week . I wouldn’t recommend anymore cause it does a very good job of exfoliating. Afterwards, slap on some Aloe Vera or your favorite moisturizer and feel it sink right into your skin!

I think my skin looks clear and refreshed after this scrub( ignore my red veins, they have been with me since young) :

DSCF0722 

Have a Soapy + Scrubby Good Weekend!!!

DSCF0676